WAYNE COUNTY DEMOCRAT
March 25, 1885
By death another old land
mark has been called from the state of ______ in the person
of Jacob Cox of this township who died Sunday morning of last
week, at the advanced age of 83 years, 6 months and. 15 days.
Father Cox was a native of Fayette County, Pennsylvania and
removed to Wayne County, Ohio with his father October 1814
on the farm owned by the deceased, inherited from his father
Peter Cox, who died in 1841.
The subject of this sorrowful
sketch was married to Jane Denman, Dec 4th, 1823 and were
the mother and father of nine children, eight of whom are
still living. Their fiftieth bridal was celebrated at which
their eight children with their families were present. His
wife died April 18th 1874.
Father Cox was an honored
member of the Baptist Church at Moscow, this township, and
in his declining years his memory would run back to the times
when his family was around him and the surviving members of
the family will remember of the pleasant times spent at the
old home as the center where so many endearing recollections
will ever cluster even when the stranger will plow the fields
and other knees will bow at the old fireside around the family
alter in that dear old home, as they are scattered and gone.
And now in summing up his many virtues, the one particular
trait that far outshines all the balance; was his undying
and disinterested devotion to his Christian faith and his
church. So devoted and true was he to the church which he
espoused that for years he was looked upon as one of the pillars
of the church building, he was one of those who throwing aside
all worldly interest came to the rescue with his proverbial
zeal and liberal considerations, until the debt was lifted.
He takes a receipt in full of all his earthly indebtedness,
written on the immortal tables of the souls, up to the throne
of God and Angels, where he will bear the welcome "Enter
thou into the joys of thy Lord" I.B.D.
Tuesday, January 21, 1908
Jan 20-The funeral of Samuel
Denman Cox was held from the home Sunday at 1 p.m. Rev Conkle
officiating. After a short but impressive service the remains
were laid to rest in the Center Cemetery. The flora tributes
were profuse and beautiful. Mr. Cox had a paralytic stroke
Thursday forenoon. No hopes were entertained for his recovery
and his children were sent for and were all with him when
he died, Friday about noon.
Samuel Denman Cox was born
June 1st 1842 in Dalton, Wayne County, Ohio. On December 6th,
1866, he was married to Miss Catherine Ann Masters who survives
him. Five children were born of this union. Melvin E, Norval
H, and Clarence W of Cleveland. Mrs. A. C. Newman of Albion,
PA, and Pearl C. Cox who with his family reside at home. These
sons and daughters with their families were all present at
the funeral. Other relatives present were Alpheus Cox, Wadsworth,
Ohio, brother of the deceased. Two nephews William Cox of
Barberton, Ohio and A. E. Cox of Cottonville, Ohio; also a
niece, Mrs. Ida Shultz of Dalton, Ohio. Two sisters and a
brother of Mrs. Cox, Mrs. J. A. Stofer, Canton, Ohio and Mrs.
Matilda Masters of Massillon, Ohio and Andrew Masters of Cleveland;
another brother, Andrew Cox of Kendallville, Ind., and two
sisters, Mrs. W. D. Harper of Dalton, Ohio and Mrs. Suzanne
Eckard of Kendallville, Ind., were unable to be present.
Mr. Cox was a kind husband
and father and a good friend and neighbor. He will be greatly
missed from our midst.
Church Histories of Wayne County, Ohio
MOSCOW BAPTIST CHURCH
Complied and edited by
Bonnie S. Wipert, 1987
Wayne County Public Library
Begun in the 1840ís or 1850ís, this
church building was located about a mile south of U. S. Route 30
on County Road 52, at the crest of the knell which is now wooded,
nearly across the road from the Edwin Steiner home. This small frame
Baptist church served the residents in the area known as Moscow,
but which for a period of time had the name McQuaid.
The Moscow Baptist Church was sometimes
known as the "Arnold Church" because it was located on
a corner of Joseph Arnoldís land and a number of Arnold families
attended there. It was a very plain white frame building perhaps
25 by 40 feet in size, had two pot-bellied stoves, and stood about
50 feet from the present road. It had two doors on the south and
the pulpit on the north end, and two rows of benches with an aisle
in the middle.
Family names included Arnold, Danner,
McQuaid, Metzer, Derthick, Irvin, and Harbaugh. Though never large
in size, it was quite active before the turn of the century. In
1892, it had a series of revival meetings and four years later the
Dalton Gazette notes that the church had an ice cream and strawberry
festival on Saturday night for the benefit of the Church and Sunday
Decline set in by the turn of the
century. J. E. Metzker, the pastor, held preaching services only
the second and fourth Sundays of the month. Bravely the church advertised
its services in the Gazette until rather suddenly, without explanation,
the last announcement occurred on March 21, 1907. This probably
marks the time the church closed permanently. The last funeral is
thought to have occurred April 5, 1905. For some years the building
stood empty. Finally in the summer of 1917, John Danner purchased
the building in private sale and moved it across the road and a
little south and used the lumber in constructing his barn. It is
now the Edwin Steiner barn.