Part 4: Chapter 27
Let's look now at my maternal grandmother's genealogy.
Mary Ann "Anna" Goodbody was born 25 Nov 1882. She died
12 Dec 1961.
Oscar DeWilde McCollum, Jr.’s privately published. 1981 genealogical research ("McCollum Family: The Antecedents and Descendents of a Patriarch," 1981, pages 27-29) provides the following information on William Goodbody: "[He] was born in Dublin, Ireland and was farmed out to a cruel master while just a boy. When his treatment became unbearable, he hid on a ship sailing for America. […] a kind man paid his passage so he would not be sent back to his former master." This story offers a striking similarity to Michael Cox, Sr.’s. It was the fate of many an immigrant.
The Dublin birth must be taken with a grain of salt. A baptismal record dated. 18 Nov 1811, Rosenallis, Queens (now Cobh, Cork County), Ireland indicates he was the son of William Goodbody and Elenor Holmes. We do know for certain that following a heat stroke, he was placed in an insane asylum in Jacksonville, Illinois where he died on 10 March 1858. His wife, Eliza Barton, died just before him. Their four children were then taken in by various neighbors: Anna Maria (b. 1842; married Christopher Tripp 1860), John (b. 1845), William (b. 1846), Samuel (b. 1849).
William Augustus Goodbody (b. 14 Aug 1846) was raised by the neighbor James Lewis. William eventually went to Kansas and operated a farm in Timber Hill township of Bourbon County, near Fort Scott." There, he married Jane A. McConnell (b. 13 July 1849, d. 8 Feb. 1883) on 10 April 1870. Jane died of pneumonia only two months after the last of their five children was born:
John Goodbody (b. 17 Dec 1870, d. 1934)
married Josephine Shannon and had two children: Ella (b. 4 April 1897,
d. ?) and John E. (b. 1899, d. 4 July 1983) whose second marriage
was to Ruth Marie Bollinger. They owned the 1909 Overland automobile
featured in Part 5 and also figuring in Chapter
21 of Part 4.
Oscar McCollum describes the hard life of this poor girl called Anna. His sources of information were her unpublished autobiography, and information provided by her daughter Devota Hanks Cox.
Anna Goodbody received a bad start in life when her mother died when she was just two months and. 13 days old. Of course, her father could not take care of such a small baby, so she lived in five different homes before she was five years of age. Then, on 1 January 1887, her father gave her to her uncle and aunt, Joseph and Sydney McConnell, to raise. Anna was never adopted by Joe and Sydney, as was Buel Allen, Sydney’s nephew, who was also raised in this household. As Anna grew up and started school she was expected to help with the household chores [… Her uncle and aunt] operated the Grand View Hotel in Hartford, Arkansas […] Anna had to clean the guest rooms every morning before going to school and could not leave until the job was completed […] She always felt she was an unwanted child. […] When she was 17 years old, Joe beat her […] She believed she could not stand it any longer and appealed to her brother who lived in Kansas. He took her to live with him for a while. After coming back to Hartford the next year, she wanted to marry Riley Hanks, but Joe would not permit it. So Riley brought a ladder which he put up to her window, and they eloped.
Not much information is available on the early members of this branch of the McConnell family. The earliest data refers to:
(1) Joseph McConnell was born in East Tennessee, probably in the early part of the 19th century […] married Mary Ann McClatchey, and two daughters were born to them:
(2) Mary Almeda McConnell, b. 20 Oct 1847, d. 9 May 1940
The descendents of William and Jane Goodbody are as follows:
(3) John Alexander Goodbody, b. 17 Dec 1870, d. 1934
(4) Ella T. Goodbody, b. 4 April 1897, d.
(4) John Elsworth Goodbody, b. 28 Feb. 1899, d. 4 July 1983
(5) Carol Ann Goodbody, b. 26 Sept 1940
(6) John Christopher Vogel, b. 9 Apr 1961
m. 2nd Leonard Dean Haulette 20 Oct 1972
(5) John David Goodbody, b. 13 Dec 1947
(3) William Clinton Goodbody, b. 13 Dec 1873, d. 27 May 1948
(4) Elizabeth Gladys Goodbody, b. 30 Nov 1902, d. 5 Jan 1955
(4) Mary Forestine "Teen" Goodbody, b. 10 Dec 1909
(4) William Augustine "Bud" Goodbody, b. 15 Aug 1911
(5) William Clinton Goodbody II, b. 13 Feb. 1936
(6) William Dean Goodbody, b. 27 Aug 1959
(6) Crystal Lynn Goodbody, b. 28 Mar 1961
(6) Wesley LeRoy Goodbody, b. 24 Dec 1966
(6) Richard Clint Goodbody, b. 3 July 1970
(5) Wanda Lea Goodbody, b. 7 Apr 1960 (sic)
(4) Velma Anna Goodbody, b. 4 Oct 1916, d. 16 Sept 1981; unmarried
(3) Emery Elsworth Goodbody, b. 30 Sept 1875, d.
(3) son, b. 3 Dec 1877, d. 4 Dec 1877
(4) Floyd Arthur Hanks, b. 1 Aug 1902, 4 Nov 1902
(4) Riley "Clay" Hanks, Jr., b. 4 Sep 1904, d.
2 Jan 1958
(5) Donald Clay Hanks, b. 21 Feb. 1931, m. Alice
(5) Sarah Ann Hanks, b. ,
(5) Carrol Lee Hanks, b. 13 Mar 1940
(5) Charles Raymond Hanks, b. 9 July 1941
(5) Joyce Merlene Hanks, b. 24 Nov 1942
(5) Wayne Riley Hanks, b. 8 Aug 1949
(4) Ernest Ray Hanks, b. 3 Sep 1909, d. 7 Mar 1928
(4) Anna Devota Hanks, b. 12 Mar 1913, d. 24 May
(4) Joseph Buel Hanks, b. 30 Jan 1919, d. 12 Nov 1979
(6) April Kathleen Stone, b. 17 Aug 1995
This site's address is:
Our website is hosted by